iRun 101 is the first installment of a two-part blog series highlighting the latest SPARK High School web-unit: iRun.
SPARK HS’s newest web-only addition, iRun, is a fitness-based running unit designed to promote personal health, fitness and running performance. Regardless of your students’ current fitness levels, iRun will inspire and support each individual student on the pathway to personal success.
iRun takes scientific training principles, fitness guidelines, and training methods and makes them easy to understand so that students can create individualized training programs, be active on a regular basis at an appropriate level, and achieve their personal fitness goals. Read on to learn more about the foundational components of the iRun unit:
A system for developing long-term changes and improvements in fitness levels:
- Overload – adding resistance or increasing difficulty
- Progression – rate of overload, resistance or difficulty
- Individuality – personalized goals
- Specificity – align program and exercises to personalized goals
- Reversibility – use it or lose it
Recommendations for providing details to a program:
- Frequency – how often to workout
- Intensity – how hard to workout
- Time – how long to workout
- Type – which method of training to use
Aerobic Training Methods
The approaches for applying training principles and FITT guidelines:
- Continuous – single activity, moderate intensity, extended period of time with no rest.
- Interval – single activity, short bursts of high intensity alternated with brief rest periods.
- Circuit – a series of different activities performed at high intensity, brief rest at end of series.
Be on the lookout for the iRun 201 blog where we will look at the specifics of the SPARK HS iRun unit, illustrate strategies and identify resources to assist you in successfully implementing this unit in your own program.
Share Your Knowledge!
What are your experiences using aerobic conditioning programs? What advice would you give to someone who is planning to use this type program for the first time? Post a response below and let us know!
Current SPARKfamily members with High School access can find the new iRun unit under High School Web-Based Units. If you are not a current SPARKfamily member, you will receive 3-year access to the digital content when you purchase a SPARK High School curriculum set.Share